Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Queens

 

A borough of New York, N.Y.

 

(APA–103: dp. 13,200 (f.); l. 473’1”; b. 66’; dr. 25’; s. 17 k.; cpl. 476; a. 2 5”, 8 40mm.; cl. Windsor; T. C3–S–A3)

 

Queens (APA–103) was laid down 2 March 1944 as MC hull 1677 by Bethlehem Steel Corp., Sparrows Point, Md.; launched 12 September 1944; sponsored by Miss Jeanne L. Fogle; acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Commission on loan charter 16 December 1944; and commissioned 16 December 1944, Capt. John J. Mockrish, USNR, in command.

 

Following shakedown and amphibious training in Chesapeake Bay, Queens reported for duty at Queens, N.Y., to Commander, Task Force 29, 15 January 1945. Sailing via Norfolk, Va., and the Panama Canal, she arrived Pearl Harbor 7 February.

 

After training, she departed Pearl Harbor 2 March, carrying 1,250 Army and Navy troops. Arriving via Eniwetok, she debarked troops at Iwo Jima 26 March. She began medical treatment for Iwo Jima casualties 30 March. Departing Iwo Jima 12 April with 1,500 Marines, she proceeded via Guam, Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor to Hilo, Hawaii, where she debarked troops 25 April.

 

Following amphibious training, she left Pearl Harbor for San Francisco 23 May, and proceeded to Everett, Wash., for repairs. Sailing back to action via Pearl Harbor, she delivered troops and cargo to Saipan 11 July. After steaming non-stop from Saipan to San Franciso, arriving 25 July, she delivered troops to Pearl Harbor 11 August. Loaded with 5th Amphibious personnel, she debarked occupation troops at Sasebo, Japan 22 September, and then embarked Army infantrymen in the Philippines, before returning to the United States.

 

Assigned to inactive status in September 1945, Queens arrived Norfolk, Va., 29 April 1946, decommissioned 10 June, and was redelivered to the War Shipping Administration 11 June. She was struck from the Naval Vessel Register 19 June 1946.