A migratory game bird.
(AM377: dp. 890; l. 2211; b. 322; dr. 109; s. 18 k.; cpl. 117; a. 1 3, 2 40mm; cl. Auk)
The second Quail (AM377) was laid down by the Savannah Machine and Foundry Co., Savannah, Ga. 12 April 1944; launched 20 August 1944; sponsored by Miss Vivian Rahn; and commissioned 5 March 1945.
After fitting out and shakedown, Quail got underway 10 May for Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to conduct antisubmarine exercises. She then transited the Panama Canal to arrive in San Diego, Calif. She departed for the Pacific theater of operation 4 June, arriving Saipan 28 August, where she was assigned to the Marianas Group.
Quail sailed for Okinawa, arriving 19 September, and then for Wakayama Wan, south coast of Honshu, Japan. She conducted minesweeping operations in the Pacific until 4 April 1946, when she reported for inactivation at San Diego.
Decommissioned, Quail later returned to active duty with the U.S. Atlantic Fleet. Redesignated MSF377, 7 February 1955, she was placed out of commission, in reserve, and berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla., 12 August 1955. She was struck from the Naval Vessel Register 1 December 1966, and was disposed of by scrapping.
Quail received one battle star for World War II service.