Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Quail

 

A migratory game bird.

 

I

 

(AM–15: dp. 840; l. 187’10”; b. 35’5”; dr. 8’10”; s. 14 k.; cpl. 61; a. 2 3”; cl. Lapwing)

 

Quail (AM–15) was laid down 14 May 1918 by the Chester Shipbuilding Co., Chester, Pa.; launched 6 October 1918; and commissioned 29 April 1919.

 

Quail steamed to Kirkwall, Scotland, to join the North Sea Mine Sweeping Detachment. She operated with this force clearing the North Sea of mines until 25 November 1919.

 

She operated with the Atlantic Fleet in Cuban waters during early 1920, and then along the cast coast. In September 1922, she was attached to the submarine base at Coco Solo, Canal Zone, operating in the Caribbean.

 

She made a cruise to the east coast in late 1923, and in 1925 she was at Philadelphia for repairs. In 1927 she spent time patrolling the west coast of Nicaragua, and later joined the fleet in the Caribbean for maneuvers. From July 1928 to January 1929, she was on the east coast, operating between Virginia and Massachusetts. She returned to Coco Solo in 1929. Following duty with the control force in the Panama Canal area from 1929 to 1931, Quail operated out of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, from 1931 to 1941, including in her duties a period of survey work off Alaska.

 

With the outbreak of war with Japan Quail was in the Philippines. During the defense of Corregidor, she swept a channel providing access to South Harbor, Corregidor. Her crew then went ashore to aid in the defense of that island. Damaged by enemy bombs and guns, Quail was scuttled 5 May 1942 by U.S. forces to prevent her capture. Part of her crew escaped to Darwin, Australia, in a 36-foot motor launch.

 

Quail received one battle star for World War II service.