Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Ponkabia

 

An Indian word.

 

(YTB–411: dp. 325 (f.); l. 100’; b. 25’; dr. 9’7”; s. 12 k.; Cpl. 10; a. 2 mg.; cl. Woban)

 

Ponkabia (YTB–411), a large harbor tug, was laid down 3 June 1944 by Ira S. Bushey & Sons, Brooklyn, N.Y.; launched 2:3 August 1944; and accepted and placed in service 30 April 1945 at the New York Navy Yard.

 

Assigned to the Pacific Fleet for duty, Ponkabia departed New York in May 1945. Forced to put in at Miami, Fla. for emergency generator repairs, she was laid up there until 10 June. She touched at Key West before reporting to Commander, Pacific Fleet at Balboa, Canal Zone 17 June. Thence she was routed to Pearl Harbor.

 

Ponkabia provided port services to units of the Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor until she was transferred to Buckner Bay, Okinawa. She served the Fleet at Buckner Bay until she was caught in a typhoon 8–9 October 1945. The might of the storm tore the tug from her moorings and brought about extensive flooding, causing Ponkabia to sink. An inspection board recommended that the tug be declared a complete loss, and Ponkabia was struck from the Navy List 1 November 1945.