The Southern extremity of Marin County, Calif.
(ScStr: dp. 5,320 (n.); l. 300’; b. 44’1”; dr. 19’; s. 12 k; cpl. 96)
Point Bonita (No. 3496) was launched under USSB contract by the Albina Engine & Machine Works, Portland, Ore. 27 March 1918; transferred to the Navy 7 October 1918; and commissioned the same day at Brooklyn, N.Y., Lt. Comdr. P. J. Hansen, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to NOTS, Point Bonita loaded military supplies and high explosives and sailed in convoy for France 19 October, arriving Nantes 7 November. After discharging her cargo, she proceeded to Brest 15 November, joined a west bound convoy on the 18th, and arrived at New York 16 December. She departed New York with cargo for USSB, steamed to Norfolk, loaded coal for Navy use, and got underway for Hawaii 8 January arriving Pearl Harbor 7 February 1919.
Returning to New York in March Point Bonita decommissioned there 7 April 1919 and was transferred to USSB. The following year she was sold to Pacific S.S. Co.