Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pocotagligo

 

A river in South Carolina flowing from its source three miles south of Sumter and emptying into the Black River five miles east of Manning; named for an Indian tribe of the same region.

 

(IX–86: dp. 60; l. 96’; b. 17’9”; dr. 12’; s. 12 k.)

 

Pocotagligo, a diesel powered schooner built in 1926 by Marco U. Martinolich, Lussinpiccolo, Italy, was purchased under the name Marpatcha by the Maritime Commission from her owner Charles Deen Wiman, Moline, Ill. and transferred to the Navy 18 August 1942; renamed Pocotagligo (IX–86), 4 September 1942; and placed in service 13 October 1942. Assigned to the 7th Naval District during her brief career, she performed patrol duties until placed out of service 17 March 1943. Struck from the Navy List 28 June 1944, she was returned to the Maritime Commission and resold to her former owner 14 March 1945.