A city in Bannock County, southeast Idaho.
(PF–9: dp. 2,415; l. 303’11”; b. 37’6”; dr. 12’; s. 20 k.; cpl. 180; a. 3 3”, 4 40mm.; cl. Tacoma; T. S2–S2–AQ1)
Pocatello (PF–9), a patrol frigate, originally classified as a PG, was laid down 17 August 1943 at Kaiser Yard No. 4, Richmond, Calif.; launched 17 October 1943; sponsored by Miss Thelma Dixey, a great-granddaughter of Chief Pocatello; manned by a Coast Guard crew; and commissioned at Richmond 18 February 1944, Lt. Comdr. S. G. Guill, USCG, in command.
After fitting out at General Engineering and Drydock Co., Alameda, Calif. and shakedown out of San Diego through 28 April, Pocatello was assigned to Commander, Western Sea Frontier, and directed to commence weather station operations out of Seattle, Wash. Departing San Francisco 17 May, she arrived Seattle 22 June. One month later she commenced her first patrol on Weather Station Able.
Pocatello’s weather station was approximately 1,500 miles west of Seattle. Patrols consisted of thirty days at sea followed by ten days in port at Seattle. Pocatello alternated on station with the Coast Guard cutter Haida, and had completed a dozen patrols by the war’s end. Pocatello was then laid up on the west coast. Scheduled for disposal, she shifted to Charleston, S.C., arriving 6 April 1946 and decommissioning there 2 May. Pocatello was subsequently sold at Charleston to J. C. Berkwit and Co. of New York.