Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Plymouth

 

A town in Massachussetts on Plymouth Bay, 18 miles southeast of Brockton; founded by the Pilgrims in 1620.

 

II

 

(ScSlp.: t. 1,122; lbp. 2506; b. 380; dr. 160; s. 12 k.; a. 1 11 D.sb., 10 9 D.sb.; 1 60-pdr., 2 20-pdr.r.)

 

The second Plymouth, a wooden-hulled, screw sloop-of-war, was laid down as Kenosha at the New York Navy Yard in 1867; completed in 1868; and commissioned 20 January 1869, Capt. William H. McComb in command.

 

Kenosha got underway eastward across the Atlantic 25 February 1869. While on the European Station she was renamed Plymouth, 15 May 1869. Word of the change reached her at Ville Franche, France, 26 June. She then cruised off the Levant and North Africa under her new name, returning to Marseilles 19 November. From southern France, she continued on to Portsmouth, England, whence she escorted the British steamer Monarch, carrying the remains of George Peabody, American merchant, financier and philanthropist, to the United States for burial. Arriving at Portland, Maine, 25 January 1870, she remained there on ceremonial duty until sailing for Portsmouth, N.H., for refit at the navy yard.

 

Plymouth departed New York 12 July and steamed to the Mediterranean where Rear Admiral Bogg selected her as flagship of the European Station, 21 September. She sailed for the coast of Africa 17 February 1872, thence headed home via the West Indies and remained on the Atlantic coast until returning to European waters 1 November 1872. This deployment lasted until the screw sloop sailed for home 6 June 1873. She arrived at New York on the 18th, thence proceeded to Portsmouth, N.H., where she decommissioned on the 28th.

 

Recommissioned 10 October 1874, the sloop operated along the Atlantic coast and in the Caribbean until decommissioning again 17 May 1879. She remained in ordinary at Portsmouth until scrapped in 1884.