A shaft on which something turns; a person or thing having a central role.
(AM–463: dp. 775; l. 172’; b. 35’; dr. 10’; s. 14 k.; cpl. 70 a. 1 40mm, 2 .50 cal.; cl. Aggressive)
The second Pivot (AM–463) was laid down 31 March 1952 by Wilmington Boat Works, Wilmington, Calif.; launched 9 January 1954; sponsored by Mrs. Minor C. Heinl; and commissioned 12 July 1954, Lt. Robert M. Collins in command. Following shakedown in the Long Beach-San Diego area, Pivot became flagship of Mine Division 93 at its establishment 6 December. On 8 January 1955, she participated in operation “Rainbow” to begin her career in the Pacific Fleet and the following month was redesignated MSO–463. She operated along the West Coast until departing Long Beach 2 June 1958 for the Far East for service with the 7th Fleet. During this deployment she attempted to assist Prestige aground at Naruto Kaikyo, Japan; but ran aground herself during the daring operation in dangerous waters. Pivot managed to break free but Prestige was lost. Returning to Long Beach 7 January 1959, the non-magnetic ocean minesweeper resumed operations along the West Coast establishing a pattern of alternating service off the Pacific seaboard with WestPac deployments in 1960, 1962, 1964, 1966 and 1968. During the 1962 deployment, she received the Battle Efficiency “E”.
Her last three deployments took Pivot to Viet Nam for “Market Time” operations, inspecting junks and other craft to stem the flow of Communist war material from the north into South Viet Nam. Her light draft, and her crew’s high standard of seamanship suited the minesweep ideally for this important service in support of freedom.
Pivot returned to Long Beach from her last 7th Fleet deployment 10 May 1969 and operated on the West coast into 1970.