A prominent Choetaw chief of mixed blood who died in Washington, D.C. in 1881.
(YTB–283: dp. 510 (f.); l. 110’; b. 29’; dr. 114”; s. 12 k.; Cpl. 10; a. 2 mg.; cl. Onockatin)
Pitchlynn (YTB–283), a large harbor tug originally designated YT–283, was laid down 26 August 1943 by Westergard Boat Works, Biloxi, Miss.; redesignated YTB–283 on 15 May 1944; launched 23 May 1944; completed 31 October 1944; and delivered to the Navy 3 November 1944.
Assigned duties as a shipyard tug at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, Pitchlynn served through war’s end there and operated in the 4th Naval District for the next fifteen years.
The faithful tug was struck from the Navy List in April 1960, and sold 31 August 1960 to Rodney H. Dann at Philadelphia.