Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pit River

 

A river in northern California flowing from Goose Lake in Madoc County and emptying in the Sacramento River.

 

(LSMR–518: dp. 790; l. 206’3”; b. 34’6”; dr. 7’3”; s. 13 k.; Cpl. 75; a. 1 5”, 4 40mm., 8 20mm., 4 4.2”M., 10 rkt.; cl. LSMR–401)

 

Pit River (LSMR–518), a medium landing ship (rocket), originally designed as an LSM but redesignated 9 February 1945 as LSMR–518, was laid down by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex. 28 April 1945; launched 2 June 1945; and commissioned 24 July 1945, Lt. Albert D. Ullman in command.

 

The war ended before LSMR–518 completed shakedown. Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, she operated briefly along the east coast, conducting type training exercises and undergoing inport upkeep periods. She called at the Washington Navy Yard 5–7 October 1945 to participate in ceremonies honoring Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz.

 

LSMR–518 was assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Florida Group 10 January 1947, reporting to Green Cove Springs 5 February. She decommissioned there and was placed in reserve 21 May 1947.

 

Named Pit River 1 October 1955, LSMR–518 was struck from the Navy List 1 October 1958. She was sold to Philip Walker Sales Co. in June 1959.