Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Piscataqua

 

A river in New England, forming the boundary between Maine and New Hampshire.

 

IV

 

(AOG–80: dp. 6,047 (f.); l. 352’2”; b. 48’4”; dr. 19’2”; s. 10.2 k.; Cpl. 38; a. none; cl. Tonti)

 

The fourth Piscataqua, a T–1 tanker originally named Taveta, was laid down 23 May 1945 by the Todd Houston Shipbuilding Company, Houston, Tex.; launched as Cisne 10 September 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Robert Rosbach; and delivered to U.S. Maritime Commission 13 December 1945. However, the tanker was immediately placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Beaumont, Tex.

 

She was activated and delivered to MSTS at New Orleans 19 August 1950. At this time she was renamed Piscataqua and designated T–AOG–80. The tanker operated in the Gulf area until January 1951 when she was transferred to the Western Pacific under the operational control of MSTS Far East. She supplied American forces in Korea with gasoline during the undeclared war against the Communist aggressors.

 

During the late fifties, she continued to provide logistical support for American truce forces in Korea. With the commencement of the war in Vietnam, her area of operations has shifted to Southeast Asia where she serves into 1970.

 

Piscataqua earned three battle stars for Korean War service.