Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pinta

 

One of Columbus’ three Spanish caravels on his first voyage to the Western Hemisphere in 1492.

 

(ScTug: dp. 306; l. 137’; b. 26’; dr. 11’; s. 8.5 k.; cpl. 52; a. 2 30-pdr. P.r., I 12-pdr. how.; cl. Pinta)

 

Pinto, an iron hulled screw tug launched 29 October 1864 by Reaney, Son and Archbold, Chester, Pa., was completed in October 1865 and commissioned there, Lt. Comdr. Henry H. Gorringe in command.

 

Except for a period in ordinary during 1867, Pinta served on harbor duty at the Philadelphia Navy Yard from 1866 until laid up in 1872. She recommissioned at Philadelphia 22 November 1873 and operated out of Key West on various duties including messenger service, naval drill in Florida Bay, and towing and freight services. She decommissioned at Norfolk Navy Yard 15 April 1876 and was laid up there until reactivated as a yard tug in 1878.

 

Overhauled at the Norfolk Navy Yard from 1881 until 24 February 1883 in preparation for duty off Alaska, Pinta arrived Sitka, Alaska, and relieved Adams 17 August 1884. She patroled Alaskan waters protecting the seal fisheries until 10 April 1889 when she sailed for the Mare Island Navy Yard for repairs. She returned to her home port, Sitka, 17 October 1889 and continued to engage in patrol operations in the Bering Sea. Among the Alaskan ports she frequently visited were: Fort Wrangel, Fort Rupert, Port Simpson, Port Protection, Port Chester, William Henry, Juneau, Killisnoo, Ketchikan, Shakan, Loring, Hoonah, and Killimo.

 

Pinta returned to Mare Island Navy Yard 17 July 1897 and decommissioned there 4 August 1897. In 1898 she underwent repairs. She served with the Naval Militia at San Diego, Calif. from 1898 to 2 January 1908 when she was struck from the Navy Register.