Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pinon

 

Any of a number of related pine trees with large, edible seeds.

 

(AN–66: dp. 1, 190 (f.); l. 194’7”; b. 34’7”; dr. 11’9”; s. 14 k.; cpl. 48; a. 13”, 4 20mm., 2 mg.; cl. Ailanthus)

 

Pinon (AN–66), a net tender, was laid down 9 March 1943 by American Car and Foundry Co., Wilmington, Del. as YN–87; launched 16 January 1944; designated Pinon (AN66) 20 January 1944; and commissioned 31 March 1944.

 

After Atlantic coast shakedown and training, Pinon stood out of New York Harbor 24 June 1944 and steamed for Belfast, Northern Ireland, arriving 10 July. Pinon provided net-tending service in both Belfast and Plymouth, England through the fall. Departing Plymouth 6 November, she put in at Norfolk, Va. 21 November through 10 December. She then underwent availability at Curtis Bay, Baltimore, Md. 11 December through 25 January 1945.

 

Pinon called at Hampton Roads, Va. 31 January and then cruised via Guantanamo Bay and the Panama Canal, reporting for duty to Commander, Pacific 13 February. After availability at San Diego 19 March, she called at Pearl Harbor and thence tended nets at Eniwetok commencing 22 April, at Guam (27 April through 20 June), at Tinian/Saipan through the first week of July, and at Okinawa until 15 October.

 

Calling at Pearl Harbor 12 December, she pushed on to San Diego, arriving two days before Christmas. Pinon decommissioned at San Diego 5 March 1946, and was struck from the Navy List 20 March 1946. Sold and placed in merchant service as Alaska Reefer, she was lost at sea 28 August 1961.