An Indian term meaning cotton and a Spanish word for parched corn.
(ATA206: dp. 835; l. 1430; b. 3310; dr. 132; s. 13 k.; Cpl. 45; a. 1 3; cl. ATA121)
Pinola (ATA206) was laid down by the Gulfport Shipbuilding Corp., Port Arthur, Tex. 26 October 1944; launched 14 December 1944; and commissioned as A TA206 10 February 1945, Lt. (jg) N. G. Neault in command.
ATA206 completed shakedown 10 March 1945, then steamed to Gulfport, Miss. to pick up YF754 for towing to San Diego. Thence she proceeded to Hawaii and departed Pearl Harbor 11 May towing AED21 to Guam. She sailed from Apra Harbor 5 July to operate from Chimu Wan Harbor, Okinawa, where she arrived with a dump scow and another barge in tow the 15th. Towing and salvage operations in the vicinity of Buckner Bay kept her busy for the remainder of the war. On 22 July she salvaged an Army dredge off a coral reef in Buckner Bay and later refloated a gasoline tanker aground on a coral reef in Chimu Wan Harbor.
She sailed for Subic Bay in the Philippines 30 January 1946, and picked up a lend-lease dredge for towing to Melbourne, Australia. On 20 February, while being towed, that dredge sank of an unknown cause and the tug returned to San Pedro Bay in Leyte Gulf. Here she took YD121 in tow for a long voyage past the Marianas and Marshall Islands to Pearl Harbor.
She returned to San Diego and decommissioned 4 October 1946. She was named Pinola 16 June 1948.
Pinola recommissioned 10 January 1949 and was assigned to Service Squadron 1, U.S. Pacific Fleet, to serve primarily towing target sleds for surface gunnery exercises for the Fleet Training Group based at San Diego, Calif. This service was interrupted by a cruise to Sasebo, Japan for operations in Service Squadron 3, 2 August 195427 March 1955. Pinola decommissioned 6 April 1956 and was transferred to the Republic of Korea 2 February 1962 under the Military Assistance Program, and serves into 1970 as Do Bong (ATA3).