An Indian term meaning cotton and a Spanish word for parched corn.
(AT–33: dp. 1,000 (n.); l. 156’8”; b. 30’0”; dr. 14’7”; s. 13 k.; Cpl. 44; a. 1 mg.)
The second Pinola (AT–33), formerly Nipsic, was laid down 3 March 1919 by Puget Sound Navy Yard, Bremerton, Wash.; launched 12 August 1919; and commissioned 7 February 1920.
Assigned to the Pacific Fleet, she operated on the West Coast, primarily in the San Francisco Bay area until decommissioning at Mare Island 9 June 1922. Recommissioned at Mare Island 14 August 1923, she resumed service in ports of the California coast, principally San Diego where she served during the years between the wars.
After Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor plunged the United States into World War II, Pinola continued operations on the West Coast through most of the war providing vital tug services to the Navy’s fighting ships in the Pacific, which relentlessly drove Japan back toward her home islands. Redesignated ATO–30, 15 May 1944, she served in Alaskan waters during the closing months of the war. Returning to the northwest Pacific coast in the fall of 1945, Pinola served in the 13th Naval District operating out of Seattle supporting “Magic Carpet” operations until decommissioning 31 January 1946. Struck from the Naval Vessel Register 26 February 1946, she was transferred to the Maritime Commission 21 July 1947 for simultaneous sale to Oakland Manufacturing Co.