Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pinnebog

 

A river in the state of Michigan.

 

(AOG–58: dp. 4,335; l. 310’9”; b. 48’6”; dr. 15’8”; s. 14 k.; Cpl. 124; a. 4 3”; cl. Patapsco).

 

Pinnebog (AOG–58) was laid down by Cargill, Inc., Savage, Minn. 27 December 1944; launched 12 May 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Stanley T. Donner; and commissioned 20 October 1945.

 

After serving with the Navy for 3 1⁄2 years as a gasoline tanker, Pinnebog was placed out of commission in reserve 2 May 1949 in the Texas Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Reactivated, she was assigned to MSTS in March 1952 and operated under contract with a civilian crew until July 1954, when she was again placed in reserve, berthed in Florida. She was transferred to the Maritime Administration 20 April 1956 and to MSTS 23 April 1956. She was then operated by an MSTS civil service crew until September 1957, when she was loaned to the Air Force. She remains on loan to the Air Force into 1970.