A county in south central Arizona.
(LST–1081: dp. 4,080 (f.); l. 328’; b. 50’; dr. 14’1”; s. 11 1 6 k.; cpl. 119; trp. 147; a. 8 40mm., 12 20mm.; cl. LST–511)
Pima County (LT–1081), a landing ship tank, was laid down 13 November 1944 by American Bridge Co., Ambridge, Pa. as LST–1081; launched 5 January 1945; and commissioned 30 January 1945.
The day after commissioning she departed for New Orleans, La., arriving 29 January. After shakedown in St. Andrews Bay beginning 7 February, she took on cargo at New Orleans for transit to Pearl Harbor. She arrived the Panama Canal Zone 12 March, reported for duty to Commander in Chief, Pacific the next day, and arrived Pearl Harbor 4 April.
During final American assaults on the outlying Japanese islands, ships such as LST–1081 contributed support through vital logistics operations. After departing Pearl Harbor 19 April, LST–1081 shuttled troops and materiel between Kwajalein (8 May); Roi Namur, the Marshalls (20 May); Guam (27 May–10 June); Ulithi (12–28 June); Okinawa (4–15 July); and Tinian/Saipan (29 July–12 August).
After a brief call at Pearl Harbor 27–31 August, LST–1081 returned to Saipan 18 September, thence proceeded to Manila, the Philippines 19–25 October, to Guadalcanal in November, back to Saipan in December, to Pearl Harbor 5 January 1946, and finally back to the west coast.
After preinactivation overhaul at San Francisco commencing 16 January 1946, LST–1081 reported to Commander, 19th Fleet 1 February. She decommissioned 30 July and was placed in reserve with the Columbia River Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet.
Trouble flared in Korea four years later. The North Korean army burst into South Korea 25 June 1950 and apparently was carrying everything before it. To give added authority to the free world’s stance, many Reserve Fleet units were called back to service. LST–1081 was ordered reactivated 7 August 1950 and, after overhaul, recommissioned 2 February 1951.
After Pacific coast shakedown her home yard was shifted from Puget Sound to Norfolk, Va. and she departed San Diego 13 June, cruised via the Panama Canal, Puerto Rico, and Morehead City, N.C., arriving Norfolk 12 July. She then commenced Atlantic training operations out of the Amphibious Base, Little Creek, Va.
Remaining active out of Little Creek, LST–1081 commenced her first Mediterranean deployment 13 April 1955, returning to Little Creek 4 October. She was named Pima County effective 1 July 1955.
Placed in reserve, in commission at Little Creek 7 August 1956, Pima County shifted to Green Cove Springs, Fla. and decommissioned there 12 December 1956. She was sold in June 1960.