One employed to steer a vessel; a helmsman.
(Sch. t. 122; l. 65’0”; b. 21’6”; dr. 9’0”; s. 8 k.; cpl. 50; a. 2 guns)
The first Pilot, a Schooner, was built by the New York Navy Yard and launched in September 1836.
She was built for the South Sea Exploring Expedition (later called Wilkes Exploring Expedition), but upon completion was found unsuitable for this work.
During the winter of 1836–1837, she cruised on the Atlantic coast to assist vessels in distress, Lt. Henry W. Morris in command. She was assigned to Baltimore as a receiving ship in October 1837, and was relieved by bark Pioneer in 1838. Pilot was sold at Baltimore, Md. in 1838.