Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pilgrim

 

One who journeys in foreign lands, especially to visit a shrine or holy place. The English colonists who founded the first permanent settlement in New England at Plymouth in 1620 were called pilgrims.

 

III

 

(SP–1204: t. 98; l. 120’; b. 23’; dr. 8’6”; s. 6.9 k.; cpl. 27; a. 2 1-pdrs.)

 

The third Pilgrim, a motorized fishing boat built at Wilmington, Del. in 1893 for the Beaufort Fish Scrap and Oil Co., New Bern, N.C., was formally acquired by the Navy on free lease 30 July 1918, after she had been fitted out for patrol duty, and commissioned 18 July 1917.

 

Assigned to 5th Naval District, Pilgrim operated in Pamlico Sound and Onslow Bay as far south as the New River until she decommissioned 7 January 1919 and was returned to her owner.