Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pikeville

 

A city in Kentucky.

 

(PC–776: dp. 320; l. 173’8”; b. 23’; dr. 10’; s. 22; k. cpl. 61; a. 2 3”, 1 40mm.; cl. PC–461)

 

Pikeville (PC–776) was laid down by Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg., 10 August 1942; launched 27 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. A. B. White; and commissioned 28 March 1943, Lt. G. A. Prouse, USNR, in command.

 

Following shakedown at San Diego, Calif., on 1 June 1943 PC–776 was assigned to the Pre-Commissioning Training Center, Treasure Island, San Francisco, Calif. Based at Treasure Island until 26 September 1945, she trained precommissioning crews.

 

PC–776 departed San Francisco 26 September 1945 for the East Coast and proceeded via the Panama Canal arriving Key West, Fla. 15 October. She operated in Florida waters until departing Green Cove Springs for Charleston, S.C. in tow of ATA–209, arriving 19 April 1946. She decommissioned at Charleston 21 May 1946 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. PC–776 was named Pikeville 15 February 1956, and was sold at Norfolk to Hughes Bros., Inc., 14 September 1960.