A city in South Dakota.
(PC1141: dp. 350; l. 1738; b. 23; dr. 77; s. 20 k.; cpl. 65; a. 13, 1 40mm.; cl. PC461)
Pierre (PC1141), a submarine chaser, was laid down by the Defoe Shipbuilding Corp., Bay City, Mich., 12 March 1943; launched 22 June 1943; and commissioned at New Orleans, La., 23 December 1943, Lt. (jg) J. T. Weber, USNR, in command.
After fitting out at the Naval Station, Pierre departed New Orleans 6 January 1944 and arrived three days later at the Submarine Chaser Training Center, Miami, Fla. Shakedown off Miami was followed by alterations at the Merill Stevens Drydock Co., Miami, until 13 February when she departed for training at the Fleet Sonar School, Key West. She was assigned duty under Commander Gulf Sea Frontier and escorted convoys in the Gulf of Mexico and between Key West, Miami, and Cuba. On 13 May she sailed from Key West escorting a convoy which reached New York 18 May.
Pierre was assigned duty under Commander Eastern Sea Frontier and based her operations from the Naval Frontier Base, Tompkinsville, New York, until 18 June. She made twelve escort voyages from New York to Guantanamo Bay and back, 31 May 1944 to 10 May 1945. After overhaul at the Marine Basin Co., and the Naval Frontier Base, she departed New York with four other submarine chasers 18 June, reaching San Diego 9 July.
Pierre then steamed independently to Pearl Harbor Navy Yard, arriving 25 July for duty with the Service Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet. On 7 August she got underway as escort unit of a convoy which arrived at Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands, 17 August. She remained in the Marshalls through 12 February 1946, conducting air-sea rescue patrol off Kwajalein and Roi Islands and standing by for long range air-sea rescue work. She departed Kwajalein 12 February and arrived at the Mare Island Navy Yard 17 March for upkeep.
Pierre sailed from San Francisco 15 June for brief operations at Pearl Harbor, then steamed to Pago Pago Harbor, Tutuila, Samoa, arriving 15 July. A unit of Service Division 11 of the Service Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet, she was based at Pago Pago until late in January 1948, conducting rescue station patrol among the Samoan Islands with periodic voyages to Funafuti, Ellice Islands. In May she took up air-sea rescue station at Johnston Island.
Pierre continued air-sea rescue station and patrol duties until April 1954. During this time she was alternately based at Johnston Island, Midway Island, Pearl Harbor, and Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. On 10 April 1954 she was permanently based at Pearl Harbor to operate under the Commandant of the 14th Naval District for the remainder of her career in the United States Navy. Her primary duty was conducting training cruises for naval reservists among the Hawaiian Islands, and training cruises to Canton Island, Samoa; San Francisco, Calif.; and Papeete, Tahiti French Territorial Islands. She decommissioned at the Pearl Harbor Navy Yard 25 October 1958, and was transferred to the Government of Indonesia under terms of the Mutual Defense Assistance Program. She was struck from the Navy List 25 October 1958 and became R.I. Tjakalang in the Indonesian Navy where she still serves in 1970.