A mythical bird of ancient Egypt which, after living some 500 years, consumes itself in fire, only to rise again rejuvenated from its ashes. The Capital of Arizona located on the Salt River. The first two Phoenixes were named for the legendary bird; the third and fourth were named for the city.
(AG–172: dp. 15,199 (f.); l. 455’3”; b. 62’; dr. 28’5”; s. 17 k; Cpl. 50; a. none; cl. Phoenix; T. VC2–S–AP3)
Phoenix was laid down under Maritime Commission ontract as Capital Victory (MCV–183) 27 February 1945 by Oregon Shipbuilding Corp., Portland, Oreg.; launched 10 April 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Chester It. Kinmon and delivered 8 May 1945.
Renamed Arizona in 1948, the cargo ship was renamed Phoenix for Navy use 20 November 1962 and classified AG–172 the same day; acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Administration 25 November 1962; assigned to M.S.T.S. and manned by a civil service crew in July 1963. The special project ship, with Cheyenne (AG–174) and Provo (AG–173) was stationed in Subic Bay, Philippines as forward floating depots. The utility of such depots was demonstrated in 1964 by the excellent performance of these ships in operation “Quick Release.”
In 1965 Phoenix began general cargo operation under Commander, M.S.T.S. in the Far East and with a Korean crew continued this duty until 1970.