A mythical bird of ancient Egypt which, after living some 500 years, consumes itself in fire, only to rise again rejuvenated from its ashes. The Capital of Arizona located on the Salt River. The first two Phoenixes were named for the legendary bird; the third and fourth were named for the city.
(Sch: t. 90; a. 2 guns)
The second Phoenix was built in 1841 for the Navy at Baltimore, Md. She departed Baltimore 19 September 1841, Passed Midshipman C. St. G. Noland in command, and sailed to the coast of Florida for operations against the Seminole Indians. She continued this duty supporting operations of the “mosquito fleet” through the general pacification in August 1842, returning to Norfolk 18 October 1842. During the following two years she made three voyages to Panama; and, from 1846 to 1850, she served in the Gulf of Mexico surveying and, in general, supporting U.S. naval operations during the War with Mexico and the peace which followed. She returned to the East Coast in 1851 and remained in the Atlantic Fleet until sold in 1853.
(Ship: t. 404)
Phoenix was purchased by the Navy at New London 9 November 1861, for the Stone Fleet, a group of vessels to be sunk in the channels of important Southern harbors to interrupt Confederate trade. She sailed on the 20th but grounded while crossing Savannah Bar, lost her rudder, and began leaking badly. When refloated she was beached as a breakwater to shelter troops landing on Tybee Island.