A former town of SE Virginia, in former Elizabeth City County, on Hampton Roads eight miles east of Newport News, since 1952 part of the city of Hampton.
(YF294: dp. 300; l. 13210; b. 30; dr. 124; s. 10 k.; Cpl. 11)
YF294, a self-propelled covered lighter, was laid down 8 December 1941 by Erie Concrete and Steel Supply Co., Erie, Pa.; launched 27 June 1942; completed 22 November; and delivered to the Navy 10 December.
Assigned to the 10th Naval District, she served in San Juan Harbor through World War II. With the end of hostilities she returned to Norfolk, Va. and from August 1947 she has performed the useful functions appropriate to vessels of her class in the area of Hampton Roads, Va.
Assigned the name Phoebus 8 June 1965, she remains active in Norfolk Harbor into 1970.