Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Philippi

 

A city in eastern Macedonia founded 358 B.C. by Philip II of Macedon. There Octavian and Marc Antony defeated Brutus and Cassius in 42 B.C. St. Paul preached in Europe for the first time at Philippi.

 

(SwStr: t. 311; l. 140’; b. 24; dph. 91 10”; cpl. 4 1; a 2 12-pdr. r.)

 

Union steamer Howquah discovered new and fast sidewheeler Ella 10 November 1863 steaming along the coast north of Fort Fisher, N.C. She immediately gave chase and fired a shot at the blockade runner which glanced off Ella’s gallows frame and caused her to surrender. The Boston Prize Court subsequently condemned the prize and sold her to the Navy 23 February 1864. Renamed Philippi four days later, the steamer commissioned early in April and was ordered to New Orleans on the 11th for duty in the West Gulf Blockading Squadron, Philippi served the squadron as a picket, patrol, and dispatch vessel until set afire by Confederate artillery and destroyed while following Admiral Farragut’s fleet into Mobile Bay 5 August 1864.