Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pheasant

 

A large, long-tailed, brilliantly colored gallinaccous bird.

 

(AM–61: dp. 890; l. 221’2”; b. 32’2”; dr. 10’9”; s. 18 k.; cpl. 105; a. 1 3”; cl. Auk)

 

Pheasant (AM–61), was laid down 22 July 1942 by the Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; launched 24 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. H. J. Defoe; and commissioned 12 December 1942, Lt. Comdr. John B. Burnham in command.

 

Following fitting out at Boston, Mass., Pheasant helped to protect convoys along the eastern and gulf coasts of the United States beginning in early 1943. Immediately preceding the Normandy invasion of 6 June 1944, she swept dangerous mines from fire support areas used by Texas and Arkansas. From 29 June until her departure for Oran, Algeria 15 July 1944 she cleared areas to be used for the invasion of Cherbourg, France. Later, in the Mediterranean, she made exploratory sweeps prior to the invasion of southern France. She swept successfully in the Mediterranean until May 1945 when she received orders to return to the United States.

 

Pheasant entered the Reserve Fleet at San Diego, Calif., in December 1945. She was reclassified MSF–61 on 7 February 1955, struck from the Naval Vessel Register 1 December 1966 and sunk as a target.

 

Pheasant received two battle stars for World War II service.