Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Peshewah

 

A chief who directed the affairs of the Miami tribe in Indiana in 1761.

 

(YTB–281: dp. 410; l. 101’; b. 29’; dr. 15’; s. 12 k.; cpl. 10; cl. Onockcatin)

 

Peshewah (YTB–281), formerly YT–281, a large harbor tug, was laid down 27 March 1943 by Westergard Boat Works, Biloxi, Miss.; launched 1 March 1944; and placed in service 2 August 1944.

 

After final fitting out at New Orleans, La., Peshewah was assigned harbor duties in the 5th Naval District, Norfolk, Va. She was active in the Norfolk area throughout the war and continued to render services to the Fleet until 1956.

 

Declared excess to the needs of the Navy, she was struck from the Navy List 22 August 1956 and sold to the Pacific Towboat and Salvage Co., Long Beach, Calif.