Tenacious or determined.
(MSO–491: dp. 630; l. 172’; b. 36’; dr. 10’; s. 16 k.; cpl. 72; a. 1 40mm.; cl. Aggressive)
Persistent (MSO–491) was laid down 17 June 1954 as AM491 by J. M. Martinac Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Washington; reclassified MSO–491 on 7 February 1955; launched 23 April 1955; sponsored by Mrs. M.S. Erdahl; and commissioned 3 February 1956, Lt. Theodore R. Johnson in command.
Following Pacific coast shakedown, Persistent reported for duty to Commander, Pacific Fleet, 2 March 1956 and was designated flagship for Mine Division 91 the same day. In September 1956 she was modified for advanced sound reduction to protect against acoustic mines.
In August 1957 she deployed to WestPac as part of Mine Countermeasures Group, 7th Fleet. After return to Long Beach for regular overhaul in February 1958 and completion of type training that year, she engaged in research at the Navy Acoustic Range, Puget Sound, September 1959. Later that year she measured ocean currents under assignment to Scripps Institute of Oceanography.
After another deployment to WestPac in 1960, she returned to California in July. After type training in 1961, she deployed to WestPac in January 1962, assisting in the training of South Vietnamese sailors from January to August. After domestic operations in 1963, she deployed annually to WestPac from 1964 to 1968. Into 1970 she remained active with the Pacific Fleet.