An inlet of the Gulf of Mexico which forms part of the boundary between southeastern Alabama and northwestern Florida.
(CVE–47: dp. 9,800; l. 495’8”; b. 69’6”; ew. 111’6”; dr. 26’; s. 18 k.; cpl. 890; a. 2 5”, 8 40mm., 27 20mm., 28 ac.; cl. Prince William; T. C3–S–A1)
Perdido (CVE–47) was laid down as ACV–47 under Maritime Commission contract by Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Tacoma, Wash., 1 February 1943; launched 16 June 1943, sponsored by Mrs. H.M. Bemis; reclassified as CVE–47 on 15 July 1943; and completed at the Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Ore.
Assigned to the United Kingdom under lend lease 23 June 1943, Perdido was taken over by the British Navy at Portland 31 January 1944. During the remainder of World War II, she served the Royal Navy as HMS Trouncer and took part in convoy escort and ASW patrol operations. The escort carrier returned to Norfolk, Va., 21 February 1946. Perdido was returned to the U.S. Navy 3 March 1946, and on 25 March the Secretary of the Navy authorized her for disposal. Her name was struck from the Naval Register 12 April 1946. She was sold to William B. St. John and delivered to her purchaser 6 March 1947.