An Indian tribe resident in Southern Connecticut, members of the Algonquian language grouping.
(WARC58: dp. 1,106; l. 166 6; b. 32 6; dr. 13 3; s. 13.5 k.; a. 2 3, 4 20mm.)
Peqot, built for the Coast Guard by American Brown Boveri Electrical Corp., Camden, N.J. in 1921, commissioned as a special craft 29 April 1922 at Camden.
She was assigned permanent operations as a cable ship out of Boston, Mass., where she remained through the outbreak of World War II. When Executive Order 8929 of 1 November 1941 transferred the Coast Guard to the Navy, Pequot was assigned cable repair duty out of New London, Conn. She was reassigned to Norfolk, Va. before the end of hostilities, and she officially returned to the Coast Guard 1 January 1946. Pequot decommissioned 8 December 1946 and was sold for scrap 5 September 1947 to Potomac Shipwrecking Co., Inc. of Popes Creek, Md.