Pepperwood, wood of the pepper trees, a tree with looselyhanging branches, clusters of yellow flowers, and reddish berries.
(YN31: dp. 700; l. 1518; b. 306; dr. 106; s. 15 k.; cpl. 48; a. 1 3; cl. Aloe)
Pepperwood (YN31) was laid down 25 October 1940 by John H. Mathis Co., Camden, N.J.; placed in service at Camden 8 June 1942; sponsored by Mrs. It. E. McShane; and commissioned at Norfolk, 15 December 1942, Lt. Charles E. Hall in command.
Pepperwood reported for duty to Commander, Atlantic Fleet. She departed Norfolk 28 December 1942 for Morehead City, North Carolina, her station from 1 January to 28 February 1943, when reassigned to Norfolk. From Norfolk she went via Bermuda and Gibraltar to Oran, Algeria where she arrived 24 April 1943. She placed and serviced anti-submarine nets at Oran and Algiers from 24 April to 31 December 1943. She was reclassified AN36 on 20 January 1944.
Transferred to the French Navy under Lend Lease 15 December 1944, she was sold to France 21 March 1949. She was struck from the Naval Register 28 April 1949. She continues to serve the French Navy into 1970 as Tarentule (A729).
Pepperwood received one battle star for World War II service.