Peoria (LST-1183) (q.v.) was named after a city in Illinois. She was laid down on 22 February 1968 in San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 23 November 1968; sponsored by Mrs. Robert H. Michel; and commissioned on 21 February 1970, Comdr. John T. Williams in command.
Assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, upon commissioning, Peoria was homeported at SanDiego, Calif. Into 1980, the tank landing ship has alternated amphibious training exercises along the west coast of the United States and off Hawaii with regular deployments to the western Pacific. Peoria provided logistic support for American forces in the Vietnam theater in 1971.
Peoria earned two battle stars for Vietnam service.