Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pensacola

 

A bay and city in Escambia County, Fla.

 

II

 

(ScStr: dp. 9,821 (n.); lbp. 353’11”; b. 51’; dr. 21’6”; s. 9.5 k; cpl. 144; a. 1 4”, 1 3”)

 

Pensacola, launched as Nicaria by Aktienges. Neptun, Rostock, Germany 18 August 1901, was siezed by the U.S. Government at Southport, N.C. 8 May 1917; transferred to the Navy 9 June 1917; and commissioned 8 October 1917, Lt. Comdr. Frederick Marcus, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to NOTS in January 1918, Pensacola carried supplies from the United States to French and British ports. Returning from Brest to Philadelphia 2 December 1918, she steamed to New York and sailed for Turkey 25 January 1919 with a cargo for the Syrian-Armenian Relief, arriving Constantinople 12 March. Following her return to the United States 15 April, Pensacola carried passengers and cargo to bases in the Caribbean. Returning to Norfolk 9 June 1919, she was reassigned to the Navy Trans-Pacific transport service.

 

She operated in the Pacific until becoming station ship at Guam 15 March 1922. Classified AK–7 on 17 July 1920, Pensacola was reclassified AG–13, 26 June 1922. She decommissioned at Mare Island, Calif., 14 March 1925, was struck from the Navy Register the same day, and was sold to M. Davidson, Stocton, Calif., 5 August 1925.