Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pembina

 

A city and county in North Dakota; the site of the earliest trading post (1797–98) in that state.

 

II

 

(AK–200: dp. 7,450; l. 338’6”; b. 50’; dr. 21’1”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3”; cl. Alamosa; T. C1–M–AV1)

 

The second Pembina (AK–200) was laid down 23 June 1944 as MC Hull No. 2154 by the Globe SB Co., Superior, Wis., launched 14 October 1944; sponsored by Miss Elizabeth Mann; acquired by the Navy through the Maritime Commission 9 May 1945; and commissioned 25 May 1945 as Pembina (AK–200), Lt. James F. Moore, USNR, in command.

 

After shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico, Pembina loaded cargo at Gulfport, Miss. for delivery to Subic Bay, Luzon in the Philippines. She sailed 21 June, arriving 10 August, and proceeded with other cargoes to Okinawa; Jinsen, Korea; and Japanese ports. After off loading at Yokosuka, Japan 31 December, she was ordered to report to Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka to decommission.

 

Pembina decommissioned 26 January 1946 and was delivered to WSA representatives for turn over to the Japanese government under loan agreement (bare boat basis). She was struck from the Naval Vessel Register 5 June.

 

Pembina operated under SCAJAP, with a Japanese crew and licensed American officers, until reinstated on the Naval Vessel Register 28 June 1950. She transfered from SCAJAP via the U.S. Army to the Navy (MSTS) 1 April 1951 at Yokohama, Japan. She was assigned to the Commander MSTS Pacific Area at San Francisco 17 April 1956 following service in the Western Pacific, based in Japan.

 

Pembina was placed in temporary custody of MarAd 18 April 1957, and assigned to the Olympia Reserve Fleet in ready status. She was given permanent assignment to MarAd 31 March 1958, berthed at Olympia, and struck from the Naval Vessel Register the same day. She remained at Olympia in the National Defense Reserve Fleet until transferred to the Army 29 May 1968. Renamed Resolute 19 June 1968, the cargo ship serves the Army into 1970.