Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pelican

 

Any of a genus of large web-footed birds with a very large bill and distensible gular pouch in which fish are caught.

 

II

 

(YMS–441: dp. 350; l. 136’; b. 24’6”; dr. 6’1”; s. 12 k.; cpl. 50; a. 1 3”; cl. YMS–136)

 

The second Pelican was laid down as YMS–441 on 27 November 1943 by Robert Jacob Inc., City Island, N.Y.; launched 13 November 1944; and commissioned 21 February 1945, Lt. Pierre LaTour, USNR, in command.

 

After shakedown on the east coast, YMS–441 sailed for the Pacific 10 April, finally arriving at Okinawa in August. While there, the sturdy little craft participated in minesweeping exercises and in several minesweeping operations with the 3rd Fleet. Returning to the United States in February 1946, YMS–441 operated along the California coast until November, when she sailed to Guam. Arriving in Guam in January 1947, YMS–441 participated in minesweeping operations in the Caroline and Marshall islands. While at Guam, YMS–441 was named Pelican and classified AMS–32 on 18 February. Sailing for Pearl in late September, Pelican arrived in October and immediately entered the yards to be outfitted as an experimental ship for the Eniwetok atomic bomb tests. All her minesweeping gear was removed and special electronic gear was installed. Based in the Eniwetok Atoll area. she supported the test in the first half of 1948. After returning to Pearl in June 1948, the electronic gear was removed and her minesweeping gear was replaced. Pelican remained in the Hawaiian Island area for the next two years of her service.

 

Upon the start of the Korean War, the rugged little minesweeper deployed to Korea and while there participated in several minesweeping operations. She remained in the Far East until 1955. On 7 February, she was reclassified MSC (0)32 and on 16 April of that year, she was loaned to Japan, becoming Ogishima (MSC–659). Returned to the U.S. Navy in April 1968, she was struck from the Naval Register on 1 May 1968.