Matchless or without equal.
(ScStr: t. 10,000 (dw.); l. 426’; b. 56’; dr. 27’; s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 83; a. 1 4”, 1 3”)
Peerless (No. 1639), built as Eagle in 1917 by Union Iron Works San Francisco, Calif., was acquired by the Navy from the Standard Transportation Co. at Newport News, Va. 8 December 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. J.S. LeCain, USNRF, in command.
Peerless loaded a general cargo, departed Norfolk 9 December, arrived at La Pallice on the 24th, and returned to New York with a general cargo, arriving 12 February, 1919.
On 19 February, 1919 Peerless was detached from the NOTS and reassigned to the Cruiser and Transport Force. She served on the transatlantic run through the summer, decommissioned 22 September 1919, and was returned to her owner the same day.