A river in Illinois.
(AOG–57: dp. 4,158; l. 310’9”; b. 48’6”; dr. 15’8”1 s. 14 k.; cpl. 131; a. 4 3”; cl. Patapsco)
Pecatonica (AOG–57) was laid down 6 December 1944 by Cargill, Inc., Savage, Minn.; launched 17 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. K. M. Krieger; and commissioned at New Orleans 28 November 1945, Lt. Comdr. M. E. Vallario in command.
She departed New Orleans 11 December 1945 and sailed to Norfolk, Va. arriving the 16th and remained there until decommissioning 7 February 1946 and entering the Atlantic Fleet in Reserve.
Pecatonica recommissioned 24 April 1948 at Norfolk and, following shakedown, she conducted coastal logistic voyages along the eastern seaboard, with occasional trips to Naval bases in the Caribbean, through 1951.
In March 1952 she was assigned to the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean and remained there through December, supplying aviation fuel to 6th Fleet carriers and U.S. Air Force installations. She returned to the U.S. in February 1953 after conducting training operations in the Caribbean, and went into the yards at Norfolk for the addition of newer 3-inch guns to her armament. In June she commenced preparations to return to the Mediterranean for her second tour with the 6th Fleet.
Pecatonica made deployments to the Mediterranean in September 1953, March 1954, May 1955 and December 1955. In June 1956 she returned to Norfolk and operational control of Service Force Atlantic, providing logistic support for Mutual Defense Assistance Pact convoys, composed of MSO’s, MSC s, AMS’s, LSM’s, and LSMR’s, during their training cruises. She served in this capacity through 1960.
Early in 1961 Pecatonica shifted to the Pacific and decommissioned 24 April 1961 at Tsoying, Taiwan. She transferred the same day to the Republic of China Navy, under loan through MDAP, and serves into 1970 as Chang Pei (AOG–307).