Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pearl River

 

(LSMR–516: dp. 790; l. 206’3”; b. 34’6”; dr. 7’3”; s. 13 k.; cpl. 75; a 1 5”, 4 40mm., 8 20mm., 4 4.2”m., 10 rkt.; cl. LSMR–401)

 

Pearl River (LSMR–516), a medium landing ship (rocket), originally designed as a LSM but redesignated 9 February 1945 as LSMR–516, was laid down by Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Tex. 21 April 1945; launched 19 May 1945; and commissioned 20 July 1945, Lt. Clifford E. Baxter in command.

 

Before LSMR–516 completed shakedown, the war ended. Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, the ship participated in brief east coast type training exercises and inport periods devoted to upkeep.

 

LSMR–516 was assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Florida Group, 18 December 1947, reporting at Green Cove Springs, Fla. 8 January 1948. She decommissioned and was placed in reserve 23 April 1948, remaining berthed at Green Cove Springs for the duration o f her naval career. Named Pearl River 1 October 1955, LSMR–516 was struck from the Navy List 1 October 1958, and sold for scrap.