Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pawnee

 

A North American Indian tribe of Caddoan stock, now living on a reservation in Oklahoma.

 

IV

 

(AT–74: dp. 1,675; l. 205’; b. 38’6”; dr. 15’4”; s. 16.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3”, 2 40mm.; cl. Navajo)

 

Pawnee (AT–74), an auxiliary fleet ocean tug, was laid down 23 October 1941 by the United Engineering Co., Alameda, Calif.; launched 31 March 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Virginia Stiegler; and commissioned 7 November 1942, Lt. (j.g.) Frank C. Dilworth in command.

 

After Pacific coast shakedown Pawnee was assigned to Service Force, Pacific. In December 1942, she steamed for Pearl Harbor and commenced towing operations. She stood out of Pearl Harbor in early January, steamed for the forward Pacific area with ARD–5 in tow, and reported to ComSoPac for duty the 29th at Espiritu Santo.

 

Pawnee operated in the Solomons from June through August 1943, providing towing services at New Georgia and Rendova. She next provided services at Vella Lavella until October. Other operations took her to the Western Carolines as well as to Okinawa, Leyte, and Luzon. She was reclassified as ATF–74 15 May 1944.

 

She served with the Naval Occupation Forces in the Philippines from 28 September 1945 until 24 February 1946, when she sailed to Pearl Harbor. In January 1947 she decommissioned and entered the Columbia River Group of the Pacific Reserve Fleet. Pawnee was struck from the Navy List 1 September 1962 and placed in the Maritime Reserve Fleet, Puget Sound. Wash., where she remains into 1970.