Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Pawnee

 

A North American Indian tribe of Caddoan stock, now living on a reservation in Oklahoma.

 

II

 

(YT–21: dp. 275; l. 112’; b. 27’3”; dr. 7’; s. 10 k.)

 

Pawnee (YT–21) was built in 1896 by Rodermund & Co., Tompkins Cove, N.Y. as the steam lighter John Dwight; purchased by the Navy 6 May 1898 from George T. Moon, and commissioned the same day.

 

She was assigned to the 3rd Naval District and operated at the New York Navy Yard until she decommissioned 24 March 1922. Pawnee was sold 25 July 1922 to Seabury & DeZafra, Inc., New York, N.Y.