Daniel Todd Patterson was born on Long Island, New York, 6 March 1786. As acting midshipman, he joined sloop of war Delaware, 11 June 1799, to cruise against French privateers and warships in the West Indies. On close of the Quasi-War with France, he resumed nautical studies, then had blockade duty off Tripoli in famed Constellation and Philadelphia. He fell prisoner upon capture of Philadelphia 13 October 1803 and remained a captive of the Barbary pirates until American victory over Tripoli in 1805. Upon returning home, he spent much of his following years on station at New Orleans where he took command after the outbreak of the War of 1812. On 16 September 1814, Patterson raided the base of the pirate Jean Laffite at Barataria Bay, La., capturing six schooners and other small craft. In that same month he refused Andrew Jackson’s request to send his few naval units to Mobile Bay where Patterson knew they would be bottled up by a superior British fleet. Foreseeing British designs against New Orleans almost two months before their attack, Patterson, not Jackson, was the first to prepare to defend the city. The victory resulted as much from his foresight and preparations as from Jackson’s able fighting. His little fleet delayed the enemy until reinforcements arrived, then gave artillery support in defense of the entrenchments from which Jackson was never driven. Patterson, highly commended by Jackson, received a note of thanks from Congress, and was promoted to Captain 28 February 1815. Patterson remained on the southern stations until 1824 when he became fleet captain and commander of flagship Constitution in Commodore John Rodger’s Mediterranean Squadron. Returning home in 1828, he was appointed one of the three Navy commissioners. He commanded the Mediterranean Squadron, 1832–1836. He took command of the Washington Navy Yard in 1836, an office he held until his death at Wilmington, N.J., 25 August 1839.
(DE–1061: dp. 3,011; l. 438’; b. 47’; dr. 25’; s. 27 k.; cpl. 245; a. 15”, 4 tt.; ASROC, DASH, SPARROW III missiles; cl. Knox)
The third Patterson was laid down 12 October 1967 by Avondale Shipyards, Inc., Westwego, La.; launched 3 May 1969; sponsored by Miss Laura Winslow; and commissioned 14 March 1970, Comdr. John W. Walden in command.