Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Patroclus

 

A Homeric character; a friend of Achilles, slain by Hector while fighting in Achilles’ armor.

 

(ARL–19: dp. 4,100 (1.); l. 328’; b. 50’; dr. 14’; s. 12 k.; cpl. 253; a. 8 20mm.; cl. Achelous.)

 

LST–955 was laid down at the Bethlehem-Hingham Shipyard, Hingham, Mass., 22 September 1944; launched 22 October 1944; and placed in reduced commission 13 November 1944 to proceed to Baltimore, Md.; decommissioned on the 27th; converted to an ARL at the Bethlehem Key Highway Plant; and commissioned in full 17 April 1945, Lt. Evan G. Bower in command.

 

Following shakedown in Chesapeake Bay, Patroclus departed the east coast 22 May 1945, transited the Panama Canal and steamed to San Francisco for final outfitting. Steaming westward 2 July, the landing craft repair ship arrived at Saipan 7 August and reported for duty with Serv Div 103. On the 26th, she continued on to Tokyo Bay to provide repair facilities for occupation force vessels. Assigned to Tokyo Bay, she witnessed the formal surrender of Japan 2 September, then commenced repair work on all LSMs, LCIs, LCSs, and LSTs in the area. On 7 April 1946, Patroclus was relieved by Romulus (ARL–22) and on the 8th she departed for the east coast of the United States and inactivation.

 

Decommissioned 2 October 1946, Patroclus was berthed at Green Cove Springs, Fla., as a unit of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet until November 1951. Then, transferred to the custody of the 6th Naval District, she underwent conversion prior to transfer under the Military Assistance Program. Struck from the Navy List 22 August 1952, she was transferred to Turkey, 15 November 1952. Into 1970 she serves that nation as Basaran (A 582).