The first Patchoque retained her former name; the second was named, by the Navy, for a village in New York.
(YFB–1227: t. 135; l. 99’9”; b. 23’3”; dr. 3’; s. 11 k.)
Patchogue (YFB–1227), a wooden hull ferry built by Robert Jacob City Island, N.Y., in 1912, was purchased by the Navy from the Boston, Nahant and Pines S.S. Co.; delivered 29 September 1917; and placed in service at New London, Conn.
Assigned to the 3rd Naval District, Patchogue operated as a ferry at the New London Submarine Base until transferred to the 4th Naval District in June 1921. Placed out of service the following year, she was sold, 16 June 1922, to Charles Carr, Keansburg, N.J.
(PC–586: dp. 320; l. 173’7”; b. 23’; dr. 6’6”; s. 20 k.; cpl. 46-1 a. 1 3”, 1 40mm., 2 20mm.; cl. PC–461)
The second Patchogue (PC–586), a submarine chaser, was laid down 29 May 1942 by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich.; launched as PC–586 on 15 July; and commissioned 5 October.
After sea trials in the Gulf of Mexico, PC–586 transited the Panama Canal and served as an escort craft along the west coast of the United States. Her coastal operations were ultimately extended to the Hawaiian Islands, and during the period 1 August through 31 December she was assigned to Commander, Hawaiian Sea Frontier, for duty. During this time she rendered valuable service as a training craft in the area of Pearl Harbor. She likewise performed patrol and convoy escort missions in Hawaiian waters.
A convoy escort mission took PC–586 to Saipan 23 July 1944. With the end of hostilities, the submarine chaser continued to bolster Fleet readiness by briefly serving in a training capacity out of Pearl Harbor, and then along the east coast at both Charleston, S.C. and Coco Solo, Canal Zone.
PC–586 decommissioned arid went into reserve at Norfolk, Va. in January 1950. She was named Patchogue 15 February 1956. She was struck from the Navy List 1 April 1959 and shortly thereafter sold to Potomac Shipwrecking Co.
Patchogue received one battle star for World War II service.