A city and a county in New Jersey.
(AN87: dp. 775; l. 1686; b. 3110; dr. 1010; s. 12.3 k.; cpl. 46; a. 1 3, cl. Cohoes)
The second Passaic (AN87) was originally authorized as YN1 13); redesignated AN87 on 17 January 1944; laid down at Leathen & Smith Shipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wise. 25 April 1944; launched 29 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Sam H. North; and commissioned 6 March 1945.
During the final months of World War II, Passaic was assigned to the Pacific Fleet and rendered valuable supporting action, maintaining and recovering antisubmarine nets in Pacific waters. After war-time service, Passaic remained at Pearl Harbor until 1947, when she reported to San Diego. Decommissioning in March, she remained in reserve there until July 1963. She was then transferred to the Maritime Administration, and laid up at Suisun Bay where she remains a unit of the National Defense Reserve Fleet into 1970.