A river on the Philippine Island of Luzon which flows through Manila.
(AW–3: dp. 22,350; l. 523’6”; b. 68’; dr. 30’10”; s. 15 k.; cpl. 259; a. 1 5”, 4 40mm, 8 20mm.; cl. Pasig; T. T2–SE–A2.)
The second Pasig was laid down as Mission San Xavier (MC hull 1826) by the Marinship Corp., Sausalito, Calif., 18 May 1944; renamed Pasig (AO–91), 3 July 1944; launched 15 July 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John A. McCone; redesignated AW–3, on 28 August 1944; acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Commission 21 October 1944; and commissioned 11 December 1944, Lt. Comdr. Clarke M. Williams in command.
Following shakedown off California, Pasig sailed, 3 March 1945, to begin her mission of distilling and supplying fresh water to units of the Allied navies in the western Pacific. She arrived at Ulithi 23 March and immediately commenced supplying water to landing craft, preparing for the Okinawa campaign, merchant vessels, and various harbor craft. With no natural water supply at Ulithi, Pasig refilled periodically from tankers from the Philippines, or made trips to the closest natural source. On 7 May she departed for a water run to Manus, whence, redirected, she steamed northeast to Eniwetok. There she joined ServDiv 102 and continued to supply Pacific Fleet units, and bases ashore, with fresh water until ordered back to the United States for inactivation in late 1946.
Decommissioned in February 1947, she was berthed at San Diego until war again broke out in the Far East. Recommissioned 15 March 1951, Pasig reported to MSTSWestPac at Yokosuka in April. For 37 continuous months her 120,000 gallon/day distilling plant provided fresh water, for human and machine consumption, to units of the United Nations forces operating in Korean and Japanese waters. In 1954, she was again designated for inactivation and, in May, she departed Yokosuka for the west coast. Decommissioned for the last time 15 June 1955, she entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet, where she remained until transferred to the Maritime Administration’s National Defense Reserve Fleet, at Olympia, in June 1960. On 1 July 1960, Pasig’s name was struck from the Navy List.
Pasig received 6 battle stars for her service during the Korean Conflict.