Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Partridge

 

Any of various gallinaceous birds, such as the ruffed grouse or bob-white quail, found in North America.

 

III

 

(LCIL–1001: dp. 260; l. 159’; b. 23’8”; dr. 5’8”; s. 14.4 k.; cpl. 41; a. 2 20mm.; cl. LCIL–351)

 

The third Partridge was laid down as LCIL–1001 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Tex. 18 April 1944; launched 13 May and commissioned 10 June 1944; After shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico, she operated in that area and along the east coast until she decommissioned at Green Cove Springs, Fla. in March 1947.

 

Reclassified LSIL–1001 in 1949, she recommissioned in 1950. Based at Norfolk, she served as a training ship for auxiliary minesweeper crews. Scheduled for conversion to a minehunter, she was named Partridge and reclassified AMCU–36 on 7 March 1952. However, her conversion was cancelled and she was reclassified and renamed LSIL–1001 in July 1954. Decommissioned in early 1956, she was struck from the Navy List 7 August 1956 and scrapped.