An island in the Sea Islands chain in Beaufort County S.C. where a U.S. Marine Corps training center has been located since 1915.
(AG–72: dp. 850; l. 184’6”; b. 33’; dr. 9’; s. 20 k.; Cpl. 110; a. 20 and 40mm.)
PCE–901 was laid down 10 May 1943 by Willamette Iron and Steel Corp., Portland, Oreg.; launched 8 July 1943; reclassified as Parris Island (AG–72) 28 April 1944; and placed in service 30 October 1944.
Parris Island was assigned to the Commandant 13th Naval District 14 November 1944, upon completion of shakedown trials, and was transferred to the 11th Naval District 26 November. She performed coastal duties until she was placed out of service 19 June 1947. She was struck from the Naval Vessel Register 1 August 1947 and turned over to the Maritime Commission 20 January 1948 at San Diego, Calif.
In 1948, Parris Island was sold to Honduran registry. She retained her original name, serving as SS Parris Island, and continues in this capacity into 1970.