Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Parrakeet

 

Any of numerous usually small slender parrots with a long graduated tail.

 

II

 

(YMS–434: dp. 350; l. 136’; b. 24’6”; dr. 6’1”; s. 12 k.; Cpl. 50; a. 1 3”, 2 20mm; cl. YMS–186)

 

The Parrakeet was laid down on 30 October 1943 as YMS–434 by J. M. Martinac SB Corp., Tacoma, Wash.; launched 10 May 1944; sponsored by Miss Dorinda Rathbone; and commissioned 15 November 1944, Lt. (j.g.) Donald Birdwell in command.

 

Upon completion of fitting out, YMS–434 was assigned to the Pacific Fleet and operated in the Aleutians and off the north western coast of the United States. Reclassified AMS–30 and named Parrakeet on 18 February 1947, she decommissioned on 21 May 1947 at Puget Sound. Struck from the Naval Register 23 June 1947, she was sold on 9 October and was renamed Dan. She stranded in Queen Charlotte Sound, B.C. on 30 March 1949 and was declared a total loss.