Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Paramount

 

Superior to all others, dominant, supreme.

 

(AMc–92: dp. 196; l. 97’6”; b. 22’3”; dr. 9’4”; a. 10 k.; cpl. 17; a. 2 .50 cal. mg.; cl. Acme)

 

The first Paramount was laid down 14 April 1941 by the Delaware Bay SB Co., Inc. Leesburg, N.J.; launched 9 August 1941; and placed in service 31 December 1941.

 

Paramount spent her entire Naval career participating in exercises and making voyages along the Atlantic Coast of the Southern U.S. and in the Caribbean. Involved in a collision on 19 February 1942, she was towed to Morehead City, in sinking condition, for repairs. Placed out of service on 8 February 1946, Paramount was struck from the Naval Vessel Register 26 February and was transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal on 16 September.